Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Blueprints Blog Hop - Stenciled Wall Hanging

Welcome to my part of the Club Scrap Blueprints Blog Hop. If you've just arrived from Hetty's Craft Chaos, you are in the right place.

Wall Hanging Created With Club Scrap Blueprints Stencil
Have you checked out the Blueprints masking stencil? While it's ideal for creating terrific scrapbook pages, I also thought it had some nice potential for creating home decor.

 

I didn't have time to run to the craft store for the 8x8" canvas I'd envisioned, so I constructed my wall hanging from my stash of book board.


Using a small utility knife, I cut the book board pieces to create an 8x8" front and back and 1.5" deep sides. I even remembered to punch a nail hanging hole centered on the back.


I then used Bookbinding Glue to adhere the pieces and form a frame.


Once assembled, it was painting time. The sides were painted with black acrylic, and ivory on the front wall.


Once dry, I stamped the front of the frame with Black India Ink. Due to the lack of a firm stamping surface beneath the book board, sometimes portions of the stamped image didn't transfer. No worries! If that happens, simply fill it in with a smaller stamped image.


Next, I centered and held the stencil in place on the front of the frame and covered the entire thing with black acrylic paint.



When the stencil is lifted, the stamped ivory surface is revealed. Tah-dah! Depending on what type of crafter you are, go ahead and wash that stencil right away.



Next on the hop is Cathy at The Artful Gamut. She always has something fabulous up her sleeve!


Kay

22 comments:

  1. Stunning, elegant and simple. Kay you have done it again. This is an awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, you are so very kind!
      I do want to make more of these!!!

      Delete
  2. Just love this, Kay! Such a classy home decor project. Thanks for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous and classy, as always. Give this girl some book board, and she can make anything! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ya know, Book Board and I do have kind of a "thing"
      :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Kay this is absolutely a stunning project, WOW, what impact.
    Thanks for sharing your step outs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea! I think I might lift this and make a canvas. Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful wallhanging! Great project,Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just amazing! So very lovely...what a great idea. Such fun, I'm going to have to scrap-lift that.

    TFS Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this would be a super easy project if you had a canvas handy, would make a perfect wedding gift (and I have one to go to coming up!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking it kind of looks like the subway art style wall hangings you see in the shops now occasionally, black with the off-white lettering etc....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you stamped the ivory surface! Tucking this idea away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kay! I love this wall hanging. Great idea to save for future use. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! The simple black and white makes a beautiful statement. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thought was what a great gift for an engineer or an engineering grad! Man or woman of course, but this idea seems especially adaptable for a man's gift, which can be a challenge. Great idea!
    Beth M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea for someone graduating or currently in that field, thanks for mentioning!

      Delete
  14. Love the way you have with book board Kay! The wall hanging is gorgeous. I might have to make this for my engineering major son's college room.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only have one word, WOW!!! You really know how to work that book board.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super Awesome project! Club Scrap stencils are amazing and so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect project for that stencil and any crafter's space. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete